Tuesday, 18 December 2012

Kingdom Hearts 1 Game Review

For my next game review we're going to be jumping back in time a few years to when the PS2 was a major console. The game that i'm talking about in this review is going to be Kingdom Hearts.   Now, Kingdom Hearts was way ahead of its time with both storyline and graphics, some games on Xbox 360 and PS3 don't even live up to it.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/68/Kingdom_Hearts_logo.png
 It is a game collaboration between Squaresoft (Final Fantasy) and Disney, about a boy who spends all his time on an island with his two bes buddies Kairi and Riku. One day his whole world is turned upside down when his island is consumed by The Darkness. He is also consumed but finds himself waking up in the back alley of an unknown world with no idea where he is or where Riku and Kairi have gone. In this mysterious world he meets his two companions , Donald and Goofy.

Through talking to them he realises he is the Keyblade master, the Keyblade being a mysterious, yet powerful blade that is used to destroy The Darkness. The three leave this world and go to others in search of Riku and Kairi and also for keyholes on planets to stop The Darkness from entering that planet.They go to planets all filled with Disney characters, like Tarzan, Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan.

Yes, even this cross dresser is in this amazing game!

Throughout the game they also realise that the Darkness is being controlled by one source of evil, and we believe it is Maleficent doing it. Yet we later find out it is Ansem who is behind it all (Spoilers much). What we all didn't know at this point was that Ansem is actually Riku, and this is because Riku turns to The Darkness (More spoilers) The ending is you killing Ansem, releasing Riku and stopping the 'door' from opening. This door is a gateway into another realm which would cause utter chaos if in the wrong hands. 
 Overall I thought the storyline, graphics, characters, soundtrack and battle system was amazing and to this day this still remains my favourite game of all time, along with Kingdom Hearts 2 (A whole different review). Anyone who plays this game will recognise the characters from either Final Fantasy or Disney, and seeing this otherwise uncommon collaboration makes the game so much better because it all works so well. It is a definite must have for the PS2 and I usually find myself replaying this game from time to time for that nostalgic feeling.  

The battle system is pretty easy to navigate, and can be compared to Final Fantasy but without the turn based effect. You run around freely and at anytime have the option to attack, whether theres an enemy there or not. Also in the battle system menu you have a 'Magic' option (where you have things such as Fire, Blizzard and Cure) and you also have 'Item' which is where you'll find potions you have equipped onto yourself. The last option which is a '?' is reserved for things like opening chests and examining things.
The battle system menu.
Now for ratings! Overall this game is just truly amazing, Gameplay is a 9/10 for the amazing storyline, characters and just how you get so connected to the players. 9/10 for the graphics as they are well ahead of their time as I said, Xbox 360 and PS3 games have worse graphics! and finally 9/10 for the soundtrack, the music stays with you forever, or at least it has with me and I love every different battle theme! Also the opening theme is just amazing, if you havent heard go check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EYaFjpADx4

So I say you should definitely get this from either and online shop like amazon or Ebay. It may also be in a shop like CEX or Gamestation or any other second hand game shop and it should be in there if you're lucky!

Please leave feedback so I know what to do next and know how to get better and I don't intend on stopping this anytime soon so stay on the lookout for more of my stuff! Until next time, thanks! - Derry
-->

12 comments:

  1. There's a fun writing style that's both descriptive and has author input. It's fun and free flowing which adds to its strengths.

    The review itself was good, perhaps you should divide it into sections to give a better breakdown. And giving a rating is a good indication for someone who wants to see the final verdict.

    For one of your first reviews, this is great. Keep it up! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Wah thats actually really helpful and how could I forget to leave them out, have now added them into both of my posts, cheers for reminding me! :D I will continue to bring these out though, any ideas for a next game to review? Or should I maybe start doing Anime and Manga as well? :3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice ratings, it's pretty evident that you love KH XD I haven't got any real suggestions but personally, I'm always interested in more obscure games that don't normally get reviewed and which I wouldn't normally know unless someone did. Just a suggestion, you have to have some of those games first though!
    And sure, some anime and manga reviews would be great! I'd definitely check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers! xD and yeah, of course, who in their right mind wouldn't? :P Hmmm... alright man, will take that into consideration, its just a matter of finding these obsecure games, playing them and reviewing them :') Well theres always emulators ;D! Alright, its good you would, i'm hoping to gain a little fan base and slowly build it up, its going to be a lot of work but i'm willing to do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't have to if it's too much trouble, it's just something that I personally like. I recommend you publicise your blog as much as possible. Maybe you should edit its design, something I noticed was that some of the links are blackened out which makes site navigation difficult. But it's early on so just keep working on it ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never even noticed that myself but have now edited and changed the text colours of different segments, hope its better :) It may be a bit of trouble, but i'm just wondering what kinds of obsecure games you are on about? :P and I have been on twitter, google+, facebook and MyAnimeList so far, anywhere else you'd suggest? ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, I'm thinking about games that are good but don't normally get attention. No, I think you've got it covered XD I'll tell if I think of anything else.

      Delete
  7. Kingdom Hearts, is just the best game series, end of, no arguing. They way the story is told and everything, you actually get attached to the characters. I LOVE THE GAME, and personally I will never get rid of my PS2 purely because of this game. The only shitty thing about this game is it's contracted to Sony! It's surprising how many people don't know about it, with it being so amazing. Nothing will beat this game, best RPG this world has seen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, exactly! Glad you agree Matt :D Have my PS2 set up right now ready to play it at anytime! Yeah, I do wish they'd port it to Xbox and put it on the Xbox Live Marketplace, but then we wouldn't have a reason to keep our PS2's :') I do wish more people would know about this and thats why I've done this post so share it! Share it with everyone you know! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It has appeared on other platforms which has raised its awareness. I've only played it on the DS myself. But yeah, it has been mainly restricted to PS devices.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate that its been restrcted to PS devices, I've played Unchained Memories on the GBA but felt it was more like Final Fantasy as it was Turn Based and was repetitive, didn't feel anything like KH which was a shame :/ lets hope that one day they convert it to Xbox and other devices like they have done with Metal Gear :P

    ReplyDelete