Sunday, 23 December 2012

Halo: Combat Evolved Game Review

  Hello again, sorry I haven't posted anything for the last two days, been busy with Christmas stuff and haven't had the chance. But without further ado, on with the review! (I made a rhyme!) 

Halo: Combat Evolved, the 1st game in a now 7 game series (6 if you exclude the remake of this game). This is the game that set off a revolution in gaming and changed it forever. Halo is still now classed as one of the best games ever made and was originally on the Xbox and was released on November 15th 2001 but has since been ported to the Xbox 360 and can be bought on the Xbox Live Marketplace for 800 Microsoft Points.
The story follows Masterchief (John 117) who is regularly regarded as the last Spartan alive, but its unclear whether this is true at the time. Most people believe Masterchief was created just before the start of this game but that's not true, he was made the same as any Spartan and was trained from a young age. He fought many battles that are told in the books, and was then put in cryostasis. If you have played Halo: Reach chances are you have seen the last scene where you can see Masterchief in his Cryostasis Cell
Just taking a casual nap while a whole planet it at war!
But back onto Halo: Combat Evolved! It starts off on a ship called the Pillar of Autumn, where you wake up and are objected to go and see Captain Keyes, who tells you the ship is being attacked by the Covenant and give you the AI Cortana. At this point you have no idea who this is, but you obviously know they are the enemy force in the game. You go and check through the ship and sure enough there are Covenant forces that have managed to breached the hull.

You then head back to Keyes who tells you he's going to initiate 'The Cole Protocol' which is put in place to stop the Covenant learning of Earth's position.
He then tells you to escape the ship on a escape pod to land on the 'Halo' ring, a mysterious ring shaped space station. You leave on a Pod and crash land on the ring, with only you and Cortana surviving. The next few levels of the game consist of you saving survivors and building up a small team to help save Captain Keyes.

I don;t want to spoil too much so I'll leave the story there and just say that the games has its sad, awesome and funny moments, and just for that alone the game is worth getting and playing. I mean who would want to miss a game with Guilty Spark 343 in!
Yep, this annoying, yet funny, bastard!
For ratings I think the game deserves a 7/10 on graphics as it helped push graphics into a new generation and without it games today wouldn't be the same! For storyline I'd give it a 9/10 as it is one of the best story lines in gaming ever, I've never met anyone who's hated the storyline (Except for those snobby PS3 owners who 'hate' everything Xbox, would be a different story if Halo was on PS3...). The Halo soundtrack was done by legendary Martin O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori. It has one of the best and memorable soundtracks in any game and definitely deserves a 9/10 for this!

Overall, I think the game deserves a 8/10 as it is truly amazing, yet there felt there was something missing, especially if I play it now, I'm not quite sure what it could be though. For download it is 800 Microsoft Points which is about £7 in real money so I think for such an amazing game, that's definitely worth it! There's also the remake (Halo: Anniversary) which is just as good, has online mode and has better graphics but that is currently £25 brand new which is quite a difference.

Anyways, I hope you have enjoyed this post and as always leave feedback and suggestions as I'm up for reviewing anything! Also if you really enjoy it share it amongst your friends and spread the name of Derry! So until next time, cheers! - Derry


--> -->

2 comments:

  1. Never played this game, but I have wanted to since the anniversary addition came out, you should keep this up you're really good with it, maybe do the ratings like you have with Halo 4 not trying to pick faults or anything just I think thats' a good thing to do but ups to you :] keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can you not have? :O You should really play it, especially if you're a Halo fan, I know what you mean and this was one of my earlier posts so I was still learning buts and pieces, i'm now rating things like I did with Halo 4 but also putting them in a table at the bottom so that people can just go to the bottom and see what I rated it :P Cheers - Derry

    ReplyDelete